2023 Award Categories
In 2022 we had 28 award categories up from 13 in 2021.
With the growing expansion of the new membership categories for Aqua, Pilates and Yoga professionals and businesses. AUSactive have increased the amount of awards to 34 categories in 2023.
In some Awards we will be awarding state winners, as well as a national winner.
The AUSactive special award categories are the highest recognition for outstanding achievement and service to the Active Health and Exercise Industry.
The Chairs Award and Roll of Honour award are for service worthy of particular recognition.
The Chair’s Award recognises an individual or organisation who has made a significant impact to the Australian Active Health and Exercise Industry.
Process & Procedures
To be eligible for this award you must be a professional or organisation in the health and exercise industry, an AUSactive Member is preferred but not essential.
You must be nominated by someone in the industry via the online AUSactive awards platform.
You must accept the nomination and complete an application form, to be eligible.
Refer to the Roll of Honour process.
Roll of Honour
The aim of this Award is:
- To recognise individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the health and exercise industry in Australia.
- To raise public awareness of the origin, development and growth of the preventative health and exercise industry as an important part of Australia’s culture.
- To promote activating Australians: Every body. Every way. Every day. Thereby contributing to the health and wellbeing of the nation.
The Roll of Honour is an important part of AUSactive’s community education activities that in turn, help to raise the profile of the industry and our members. AUSactive reserves the right to determine the number of Roll of Honour Award recipients on an annual basis and in total.
Process & Procedures
You must be nominated by someone in the industry via the online AUSactive platform.
You must accept the nomination and complete an application form, to proceed into the next round.
Jayne Blake & the Board will shortlist the nominations. The top applications will be inducted onto the Roll of Honour on the 21st of October at the AUSactive National Awards Gala.
10 THOUSAND FEET Member Love Award
The 10 THOUSAND FEET Member Love Award automatically aggregates 50,000+ Google reviews for fitness brands with 10+ locations.
10 THOUSAND FEET crown a winner based on member engagement. Brands are entered by AUSactive in one of three categories Personal/Group Training; Small Footprint – Low Staff 24/7; Big Box Gym.
View the Award Criteria PDF.
10 THOUSAND FEET Employer of Choice
Be the brand exercise professionals want to work for and join the 10 THOUSAND FEET Employer of Choice Award. Three awards are on offer for multi-location brands and individual clubs.
Harness the expertise of 10 THOUSAND FEET’s strategic research and learn how to take employee engagement to the next level.
View the Award Criteria PDF.
The community award categories recognize the great work that individuals, gyms, studios, fitness centres, businesses, local councils, not for profit groups and clubs do every day to provide exceptional physical activity participation in the community through a health, well-being and exercise program. The program or initiative must have been operating for a minimum of 6 months and have statistics and evidence to support participation levels, impact and awareness.
Process & Procedures
Submissions from non-AUSactive community groups and individuals are eligible to enter but must:
- Adhere to the AUSactive Industry Code of Practice.
- Only be nominated in only one state or territory. For example, a business that operates in multiple locations will be eligible for consideration in only one location. Selection panels may choose to contact the nominee for them to determine which jurisdiction is most appropriate.
- Have been operating in the health & exercise industry in Australia for at least 6 months
Mental Health Awareness Award
The AUSactive Mental Health Award recognise the outstanding achievements of individuals, businesses, community groups and organisations that have worked to improve understanding, awareness, service provision and the general mental health of communities.
Most Inclusive and or Diverse Program
The AUSactive Award for Diversity and Inclusion recognises the outstanding achievements of individuals, businesses, community groups, organisations or programs that have made an outstanding contribution to supporting diversity and fostering inclusion within the preventative health and exercise industry.
Healthy Council Award
The AUSactive Healthy Council Award is open to all Local Governments who are running physical activity programs or initiatives to encourage their communities to get active.
Industry Innovation Award
The AUSactive Award for Innovation recognises excellence in new initiatives and the methodology behind them, it could include new software solutions or a specific initiative with far-reaching outcomes to support the local community. Entries should demonstrate: why is this initiative innovating, how the solution is different, and / or how it benefits stakeholders and the community.
Social Value & Community Impact Award
The AUSactive Social Value & Community Impact Award is for a business, community group, Council or individual that has led the way in embedding social values in the way they deliver their services in the Active Health and Exercise Industry and has made a significant impact on the needs of the communities where they operate.
- Education & Experience: Upskilling, keeping up to date through professional development, training and education.
- Professionalism: Online presence, marketing, professionalism, confidence and values.
- Standards & Safety: Health and safety, client forms and paperwork, pre-screening.
- People: Allied health referrals, working with other professionals, interaction with the wider exercise community.
- Delivery, Knowledge & Skills: Exercise technique and selection. Client health management.
- Hold a current fitness qualification, first aid, and CPR certificate.
- Have been operating in the health and exercise industry in Australia for at least 12 months as of 1 July 2022.
- Must be 17 years or older.
Educator of the Year
Open to any person who supports professionals in Australia in either a teaching, lecturing, training, mentoring or presenting role.
Exercise Instructor of the Year
Open to all AUSactive registered group exercise instructor teaching any style of group exercise that is: pre-choreographed, freestyle, mind-body.
Personal Trainer of the Year
Open to all AUSactive registered personal trainers (either as a contractor or an employee) operating in Australia. This is open to any Personal Trainers that operates within exercise facilities, PT studios and outdoor businesses offering. You must have regular clients at the time of entry.
Group Exercise Leader of the Year
Open to all AUSactive registered group exercise leader teaching any style of group exercise that is: pre-choreographed only.
Pilates Professional of the Year
Open to all AUSactive registered Pilates Professionals teaching any style of mat, reformer or other Pilates apparatus group, private or semi-private classes.
Yoga Professional of the Year
Open to all AUSactive registered Yoga Professionals.
Aqua Professional of the Year
Open to all AUSactive registered Aqua Professionals.
Student of the Year
This category is by nomination only (by the education provider).
The student must be studying (full time or part time) within the award year and be an AUSactive student member.
The Student must be studying a qualification in the following areas; Fitness, Pilates, Yoga, Exercise Science (or similar).
Accredited Exercise Professional of the Year
Open to AUSactive accredited exercise professionals only. This is the highest award for exercise professionals.
- Professionalism Service delivery is professional, effective and appropriate to the client’s needs.
- Customer Care – The customer is at the centre of the business and is always treated with care and respect.
- Safety – Programs & services are delivered safely through a comprehensive risk management approach. Facilities & equipment are of a high standard.
- People – The workforce is capable of delivering and supporting the services being offered.
- Information & Knowledge – Data and information are used effectively.
- Leadership – The business is capable of delivering and supporting the services being offered.
Multiservice Business of the Year
Open to any Registered AUSactive multiservice business. To be a multiservice business you must offer more than 2 products or services within the facility nominated.
Independent Business of the Year
Open to any Registered AUSactive exercise business.
Pilates Business of the Year
Open to any Registered AUSactive Pilates business. Pilates, must be the primary service offered within the facility.
Yoga Business of the Year
Open to any Registered AUSactive Yoga business. Yoga, must be the primary service offered within the facility.
Certified Business of the Year
Open to any fully Certified AUSactive business. Certification must be completed and approved before entering.
Quality Accredited Business of the Year
Open to quality accredited businesses only. All businesses who complete the accreditation requirements in 2022 – 23. Will be automatically entered into the award. No additional nomination process is required or fee. The business with the highest marked score in 2022- 2023, assessed by Global Mark and endorsed by AUSactive’s Standards Council and Board, will be the winner. This is the highest award for businesses.
Franchise Group of the Year
Open to any Franchise group part of the AUSactive community
Franchisee of the Year
Open to any Registered AUSactive franchisee business
CEC Provider of the Year
Open to any currently approved CEC provider offering one or more CEC courses to AUSactive members.
Leisure Centre of the Year
Open to any Registered AUSactive Leisure Centre
People’s Choice Categories
The People’s Choice categories recognising AUSactive businesses and individuals in the physical activity industry. Voting will be online by the general public. Nominees’ will need to campaign to their members and clients and encourage them to vote.
People’s Choice Business
This category is by nomination only. Once a business is nominated the general public will decide the winners.
People’s Choice Exercise Professional
This category is by nomination only. Once an individual is nominated the general public will decide the winners.